Re: UNBELIEVABLE linux story!

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Fri, 5 Jun 1998 16:10:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 5 Jun 1998, Dave Wreski wrote:

> > [...] I bumped the power cable on my hard disk and
> > jolted it enough that it disconnected. OH SHIT! The computer
> > seemed to be ok still... I pressed some keys... no problem... I
> > was freaking! I carefully grabbed the power cable and put it
> > back on WHILE THE COMPUTER REMAINED ON!!
>
> I blew up a 130M Seagate, back when they were hundreds of dollars by
> accidentally jarring the hard disk cable. You're very lucky.
>
> Hard disks are still hundreds of dollars, so when you do happen to mention
> this story, you might want to say you had precious data that wasn't quite
> flushed from cache, and you had no choice but to _intentionally_ re-insert
> the power cable ;)

Heheheh. I never thought of the cache not being flushed... I am
still mind boggled by this! I think I might throw my
running computer in a bathtub full of water next, while running
2000 copies of crashme in parallel. All on web cam of course.
;o)

That would be a good webpage for sure!

Escape from the confines of Microsoft's operating systems and push your
PC to it's limits with LINUX - a real OS. http://www.redhat.com