Re: 2.1.10x/SMP/IDE/UDMA lockups

mlord (mlord@pobox.com)
Sun, 07 Jun 1998 16:34:25 -0400

nicholas@binary9.net wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> I seem to be having a problem with my new Super P6DBE motherboard and
> linux 2.1.104 (and pre104, and 103).
>
> First, the system
> Super P6DBE (BX based)
> 2 x PII-233
> 64MB SDRAM
> 2 x WD 36400 UDMA
>
> CPU0: Intel Pentium II (Klamath) stepping 04
> CPU1: Intel Pentium II (Klamath) stepping 04
>
> PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
> PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
> ide0: BM-DMA at 0xffa0-0xffa7, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
> ide1: BM-DMA at 0xffa8-0xffaf, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio
> hda: WDC AC36400L, ATA DISK drive
> hdc: WDC AC36400L, ATA DISK drive
> ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
> ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
> hda: WDC AC36400L, 6149MB w/256kB Cache, CHS=13328/15/63, UDMA
> hdc: WDC AC36400L, 6149MB w/256kB Cache, CHS=13328/15/63, UDMA
>
> Okay, now the problem. If I enable DMA access (as it is by default) on
> /dev/hdc, and then I do something that involves accessing both hda and
> hdc, the machine with lock up SOLID in about 5 seconds. Everytime.

There are now several reports of the BX chipset failing in this manner.

I really don't know what the problem could be -- the PIIX4 works very
well in combination with all other chipsets.

> I tried to do some testing and haven't really found anyting. In my
> BIOS, I have options for "TypeF DMA", which I played with a bit to no

That's something different.. nothing to do with IDE.

> hdparm -d0 /dev/hdc
> everything is OK; albeit very slow (from 9MB/s to 3MB/s).

hdparm -d0 -m8 -c1 -u1 /dev/hdc
> And mayhaps someone could clarify this for me: at one point in Pentium
> chipset history (440FX era), the second IDE interface was actually
> on the ISA bus, not PCI. Is this still true for modern chipsets?

Yes and know. All PCI IDE chipsets have a "native" and "legacy" mode,
where "legacy" makes the device appear as ISA after power-on reset.

Not the problem in this case, though.

> (LX,BX) ? If so, is that what this issue involves?

Yup.

--
mlord@pobox.com
The Linux IDE guy