Re: I found SCSI driver ratings by Schilling ranking Linux as "poor" and "unsuitable for development

Chris Wedgwood (chris@cybernet.co.nz)
Mon, 8 Jun 1998 19:57:05 +1200

On Sun, Jun 07, 1998 at 11:48:20PM -0700, Brad Allen wrote:

> So, I approach the 2.1 era and say, ``what have you had a chance to do
> with regards to this problem?'' Hopefully, this is already all fixed
> (I have steered away from development kernels for some years now so I
> do not know), or plans are well underway for 2.3, but for all I know,
> the reality could be that this fire needs stoking, or, even, lighting.
> So I submit to you.

I've seen these comments, and whilst a bit harsh aren't completely unfair.

The mid/upper level SCSI code has lots of uglies in it, but wait some (till
2.3.x probably) and hopefully the new SCSI code will get merged....

(That said, if the people working on this wanted to merge before 2.2 and it
odes indeed address some of the issues, the it is almost justifiable that
way SYN cookies were added to 2.0.x later the freeze).

Hmm... that said, now. It can wait.

-Chris