Re: Is userland NFS no longer officially supported in Linux 2.0.x?

Michael Alan Dorman (mdorman-linux-kernel@debian.org)
Mon, 8 Jun 1998 08:33:42 -0400

On Mon, Jun 08, 1998 at 01:54:50AM -0700, SL Baur wrote:
> I'm looking for a version of the userland NFS server that compiles
> under GNU libc. The Documentation/Changes file in the Linux 2.0.34
> distribution omits mention of it and the same file in the Linux
> 2.1.105 distribution only references the kernel version.
>
> The latest version I could find at the standard site (2.2-beta34)
> ftp://ftp.mathematik.th-darmstadt.de/pub/linux/okir/dontuse
>
> bombs on the first file when attempting to build against GNU libc.
>
> I have Linux 2.1 kernel headers underneath `/usr/src/linux' and plan
> on upgrading as soon as the (worst of the) sound problems are sorted
> out.
>
> $ make
> gcc -c -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -g -O -Wall mountd.c
> In file included from mountd.h:17,
> from mountd.c:30:
> system.h:255: parse error before `__u32'
> system.h:255: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `__u32'
> system.h:255: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
> In file included from mountd.h:42,
> from mountd.c:30:
> fh.h:60: parse error before `psi_t'
> fh.h:60: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `psi_t'
> fh.h:60: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
> fh.h:70: parse error before `psi_t'

Steve,

I would suspect this is either a result of not using a sufficiently recent
glibc, or a configuration error on your machine---because the server *can*
be built with glibc; I'm using on this Alpha I'm typing on.

I can't give you any more specific details, but you could, if you wished,
look at the diffs for the Debian packages I've used, specifically the ones
for glibc and netstd (which include the userland nfs server). You can find
them at:

ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/hamm/hamm/source/{libs/glibc_2.0.7pre1-4.diff.gz,net/netstd_3.07-1.diff.gz}

I hope this helps.

Mike.