Re: What are they?

Trevor Johnson (trevor@jpj.net)
Mon, 8 Jun 1998 17:55:56 -0400 (EDT)

Riley Williams wrote:

> I have to admit to wondering what some of these acronyms stand for,
> and not having any details on it, so perhaps somebody could
> elucidate...

> > http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/people/chaffee/linux_pptp.html
>
> In that one email, there are two acronyms which don't appear to make
> sense, so perhaps somebody can decode them for me...
>
> Q> GRE = Grampian Railway Enthusiasts [Club]
> Q> PPTP = Publicity, Promotions & Training Panel
>
> Presumably, those are the wrong meanings thereof...

Linux' Configure.help explains GRE:

IP: GRE tunnels over IP
CONFIG_NET_IPGRE
Tunneling means encapsulating data of one protocol type within
another protocol and sending it over a channel that understands the
encapsulating protocol. This particular tunneling driver implements
GRE (Generic Routing Encapsulation) and at this time allows
encapsulating of IPv4 or IPv6 over existing IPv4 infrastructure.
This driver is useful if the other endpoint is a Cisco router: Cisco
likes GRE much better than the other Linux tunneling driver ("IP:
tunneling" above). In addition, GRE allows multicast redistribution
through the tunnel.

IP: broadcast GRE over IP
CONFIG_NET_IPGRE_BROADCAST
One application of GRE/IP is to construct a broadcast WAN (Wide Area
Network), which looks like a normal Ethernet LAN (Local Area
Network), but can be distributed all over the Internet. If you want
to do that, say Y here and to "IP: multicast routing" below.

The Web page mentioned above tells what PPTP stands for:

PPTP is the Point to Point Tunneling Protocol that is currently used
by Windows 95/NT for creating Virtual Private Networks (VPNs).
___
Trevor Johnson