Re: 2.0.34 Kernel panics / Problems

Nathan Hand (nathanh@chirp.com.au)
Tue, 9 Jun 1998 22:30:10 +1000 (EST)

On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > - Attempting to install the packages manually resulted in lots of
> > compiling errors and signal 11's.
>
> Dont understand what you mean by 'install the packages manually' here. If
> you kept trying to build until it stopped saying SIG11 at random you probably
> built a broken kernel image.
>
> If you were building under 2.0.33 then I suspect you have hardware problems
> that may be minor enough only big compiles show it. Check your CPU fan and
> heatsink especially

Confirmation of this: P100 in office started misbehaving with sig11
and random hangs. Cause was eventually traced to the CPU fan, which
had come loose after one of the plastic holding pins had broken. It
was "fixed" with gaffer tape and a good liberal application of heat
conductive grease (you know, the white stuff).

It can't be stressed often enough: if you are getting sig11's, with
stable kernel releases, then immediately suspect your hardware.