Re: net-pf-4, net-pf-5 modules?

Chris Wedgwood (chris@cybernet.co.nz)
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 21:50:06 +1200

On Wed, Jun 10, 1998 at 03:28:39AM -0500, Rob McElrath wrote:
> In the 2.1.105 kernel, when executing the bootup portion of the SysV rc
> files, I get messages about not being able to find the modules named in the
> subject. After groking the source (net/socket.c) I see where this comes
> from, but nowhere in the config is there a *module* for packet forwarding.
> What are these things, and why is socket.c trying to load them?
>
> BTW, the system loads fine, and network interfaces initialize correctly and
> work, but I'd like to get rid of the error messages if possible...

To stop these message (and not load any modules) put this in
/etc/modules.conf (or /etc/conf.modules - which ever is one your system):

alias net-pf-4 off # don't auto-load ipx
alias net-pf-5 off # don't auto-load ddp

If you do want them to load (which can happen everytime you run route,
ifconfig, netstatm etc) then

alias net-pf-4 ipx
alias net-pf-5 ddp

-Chris