Re: Any SMP people out there with SCSI CD ROMs?

Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo (acme@conectiva.com.br)
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 11:37:15 -0300 (EST)

On Tue, 9 Jun 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Keith Owens wrote:
> >
> > CD recorder on ASUS dual P166, pure SCSI. Which version of 105,
> > vanilla, ac1, ac2? What symptoms? I'll take a look tonight.
>
> It will happen with all versions, the ac patches don't touch the SCSI
> subsystem.
>
> The symptoms are a very noticeable and complete hard lockup, it appears.
> Which is extremely easy to believe if something is leaving the
> io_request_lock locked (or tries to get it recursively). That would
> certainly lock the machine completely.
>
> Which is why I asked for somebody who felt comfortable about spinlocks.
> Any help is appreciated, even just reports of how to reliably make this
> happen (for all I know it may be limited to just one specific driver), but
> let's be careful out there..

IDE CD-Recorder on a ASUS DUAL Pentium II 333Mhz using the ide-scsi
emulation

Module Size Used by
sd_mod 14356 0 (autoclean) (unused)
ide-scsi 6856 0
scsi_mod 47252 2 [sd_mod ide-scsi]
serial 18712 1 (autoclean)

Burned 2 CDs with 600MB, no _serious_ problems, just some strange things
when mounting a CD, take a look:

[root@plucky /root]# mount /dev/scd0 /mnt
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr1 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 1
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr2 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 2
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr3 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 3
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr4 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 4
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr5 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 5
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr6 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 6
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr7 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 7
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 6x/6x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr1: scsi3-mmc drive: 6x/6x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr2: scsi3-mmc drive: 6x/6x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr3: scsi3-mmc drive: 6x/6x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr4: scsi3-mmc drive: 6x/6x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr5: scsi3-mmc drive: 6x/6x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr6: scsi3-mmc drive: 6x/6x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr7: scsi3-mmc drive: 6x/6x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
mount: block device /dev/scd0 is write-protected, mounting read-only

Linux plucky.conectiva.com.br 2.1.105 #1 SMP dom jun 7 20:48:10 EST 1998
i686 unknown

stock kernel
- Arnaldo