Re: odd 2.0.34 bug

Linux Lists (lists@cyclades.com)
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 13:21:36 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, Jon,

Sorry for my late answer.

On Tue, 9 Jun 1998, Jon Lewis wrote:

> In upgrading one of my systems to 2.0.34 today (2.0.34-pre15 really, but
> the difference is minimal) I found that it locked up (console frozen,
> keyboard totally dead) during or immediately after loading the cyclades.o
> module a bit more than every other reboot. 2.0.33 with similar .config
> works fine with cyclades as a module. Strangely enough, there are no
> changes to cyclades.[ch] between 2.0.33 and 2.0.34.
>
> I played around with module load order, and when the system locked up, it
> was always just after printing the Cyclom messages. I don't use
> kerneld...I have rc.modules insmod a list of modules at bootup.
>
> The system is a Tyan Tomcat I, P100, 2 Cyclades 16ye, Netgear FA310TX (DEC
> 21140), NCR 810 SCSI.
>
> The kernel is Alan's 2.0.34-pre15 + Solar Designer's secure-linux (the
> 2.0.33 I used had a slightly older secure-linux patched in).

<snip>

> Cyclades module reports:
>
> Cyclom driver $Revision: 1.36.3.9 $$Date: 1996/10/07 19:47:13 $
> Cyclom-Y/ISA #1: 0xd4000-0xd5fff, IRQ11, 32 channels starting from port 0.
> Cyclom-Y/ISA #2: 0xd6000-0xd7fff, IRQ5, 32 channels starting from port 32.

Could you please try to load the latest driver out of our FTP site and
check whether it solves the problem or not ?? There were _several_ (and I
mean it) changes from the version included in the kernel (1.36.3.9) and
the latest one (2.1.1.4), including a change in the interrupt handler
(it's related to when to enable / disable the transmit FIFO empty
interrupt, which makes me think it wouldn't have anything to do with this
problem -- since it seems that just the Cyclades module load causes the
lockup --, but it's worth a try, because, again, this is not the only
change).

The latest driver is available at:

ftp://ftp.cyclades.com/pub/cyclades/cyclom-y/linux/v2.0/cyy313.tgz

Please let me know your results when using this latest driver.

Regards,
Ivan Passos