Re: Max number of TASKS on i386 arch

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 22:51:00 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Chris Wedgwood wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 10, 1998 at 09:45:25AM +0100, Mark Anthony Lisher wrote:
> > Am I correct in thinking the maximum number of tasks (processes + kernel
> > threads) is approx 4080?
>
> yes.
>
> > I am writing a large parallel IO system a would like to use kernel
> > threads (glibc2) to handle the IO connections and make use of multiple
> > processors.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
>
> I think mingo had an experimental patch the worked around this, you can try
> looking back of linux-kernel archive for this.

It's called softswitch-2.1.55B and it's on either
linuxhq or linux mama (www.linuxhq.com).

> (Do you _really_ need >4k processes?)

He probably doesn't want to need that many, since it
will give huge scheduling and memory overhead (at least
12k nonswappable memory per process!).
A better solution will be to use coroutines and polling
the different ports (look at a multithreaded non-kernelthreaded
app for examples on what to do. IRC servers or Mozilla should
give you some hints...).

succes,

Rik.