Re: more strange things with aic7xxx (5.0.19 in 2.1.105)

Doug Ledford (dledford@dialnet.net)
Thu, 11 Jun 1998 15:10:48 -0500

German Jose Gomez Garcia wrote:

> Well, I always thought computers were more or less machines, I mean,
> when in the same conditions will do the same, but things are changing ...
> I have patched the 2.1.105 with Doug Ledford 5.0.19 version of his
> aic7xxx driver, and tachan!!, things work but only sometimes, and the
> stranger thing is that it seems to depend of the order of the devices
> ID's, I have a IBM 4.1 Gb disk, and a Pionner 24x SCSI and a Traxdata
> 4120 cdroms, the only way to make these works is to assign 0 to the IBM,
> 2 to the Pionner and 3 to Traxdata, (I've not test all variations (3^6
> ?), but I tested a lot, and the only way was that.
>
> I have to specify no_reset and pci_parity (If I disable it in the
> BIOS, the traxdata gets detected with the pionner id, and works fine but
> I don't like so much risk :)

This sounds suspiciously like a SCAM problem. Make sure you have SCAM
disabled in the Adaptec SCSI BIOS in order for things to work properly. If
SCAM is currently enabled, then see if disabling the SCAM will let you drop
the no_reset option and still work OK.

--

Doug Ledford <dledford@dialnet.net> Opinions expressed are my own, but they should be everybody's.