Re: Speaking of SysRQ...

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Fri, 12 Jun 1998 04:33:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Riley Williams wrote:

> > If you know it is there and when to (not) use it... ;)
>
> > Imagine when your sister borrowed your console just to find out
> > that when she leaned over the keyboard to adjust the screen
> > settings, she hard rebooted the computer and with it her precious
> > two days worth of work was lost.
>
> Let me guess - somebody's been stupid with the key allocations to
> invoke it - at least, they have if that can happen accidentally!!!
>
> I like the idea of a magic backdoor that can shut the system down
> properly when it gets its knickers in a twist, but NOT if it can be
> invoked like that. It's precicely to avoid suchlike accidents that the
> three-fingered salute uses the keys it does - the likelihood of that
> particular combination being pressed by accident is particularly
> low...

Hehehe. Not to contradict you, or water your point down, because
I agree, but I have on a small number of occasions accidentally
pressed CTRL-ALT-DEL. Right after that, I made up many entire
new classes of 4 letter words. I was MEANING to hit
CTRL-ALT-F12 to switch out of X to TTY12.... needless to say,
the next screen I saw was not TTY12, but rather "AMIBIOS..."

> > It should probably be in an 'advanced user' section. You wouldn't
> > want it on the machines on campus.
>
> Better still would be to have it ask every application to quit and
> save any work in progress first like WinDoze does, but that's probably
> asking too much...
>
> Best wishes from Riley.

Escape from the confines of Microsoft's operating systems and push your
PC to it's limits with LINUX - a real OS. http://www.redhat.com