Re: plip config

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Fri, 12 Jun 1998 09:24:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 12 Jun 1998, Brian Lalor wrote:

> I set up a box yesterday and networked it to another Linux box with my
> trusty LapLink parallel cable and am using IP Masquerading to put the new
> box on our corporate network. Initially, it works fine. Low bandwith
> transfers and regular network traffic work great; however, I just ftp'd a
> 35Mb file from a remote machine through the middle Linux box to the new
> machine and I noticed the CPU utilization seemed to jump to 100% and I
> started getting "kernel: plip1: transmit timeout(1,88)" (the 1 was
> alternately a 2 and the 88 was alternately 00 or 80) on both machines. I
> guess I shouldn't be surprised about the load since the CPU's doing *all*
> of the packet manipulation, but the transmit timeouts worry me. Is there
> a way to better configure the network interface or an option for the
> module to prevent this?

I believe the messages are just warnings from the kernel that
data was lost. I also believe that due to the loss, that the
data is rerequested and resent so there is no data loss. In my
experience with PLIP, I used to get those messages on the screen
a fair amount. At least a couple per minute. I get around 40kb
per second (around 2.7 megs a minute).

The errors are likely the result of your cable length. Mine is
15 feet long. ;o) Works great though.

Escape from the confines of Microsoft's operating systems and push your
PC to it's limits with LINUX - a real OS. http://www.redhat.com