Re: [OFFTOPIC] glibc troubles

Michael L. Galbraith (mikeg@weiden.de)
Fri, 12 Jun 1998 19:49:56 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 12 Jun 1998, Alex Buell wrote:

> Dudes,
>
> I've been looking for a glibc/egcs mailing list where I can discuss my
> problems with getting glibc/egcs to compile and install reliably.
>
> I tried for ages to get glibc-2.0.94 to compile and install properly
> from my libc5 based system with no success even though I got egcs 1.0.3a
> to build and compile. That didn't work right either, so I downloaded the
> binaries for egcs 1.0.3 and glibc 2.0.4 plus binutils 2.9.1.0.4 (glibc
> version). Installed all three on my machine, after moving my old libc5
> based libraries/includes to a safe place. Did a quick compile of a hello
> world program and checked it by using ldd to verify it was indeed
> install egcs 1.0.3a as a custom tailored version for my system (i486).
> Configuration went well, so off I went to build the whole thing by doing
> a 'make bootstrap'. It stopped after about 30 minutes into the build
> with an error couldn't parse something. I'm ready to scream or something
> at this stage. This is really strange. Are there any problems I should
> know about?
>
> Configuration:
> glibc-2.0.4 binaries
> egcs-1.0.3 binaries
> binutils-2.9.1.04 binaries
> kernel-2.1.103 (probably has no bearing I guess)
>
> Thanks for any pointers (and yes I've read the FAQS et al) Could it be
> that I'm on 2.0.4 binaries, and should I use 2.0.6 or whatever?

Hi Alex,

I had similar problems, so may be able to help. The are a couple of
ways to get there from here, and starting with glibc-2.0.4 is one.

I went that way and had UGLY problems. If there's a 2.0.6-7 binary,
I'd recommend starting with that. Otherwise, install the 2.0.4 in
a directory for use in building a cross-compiler, and then go straight
to 2.0.94 with the cross-compiler (testgcc-2.8.1 works best of ALL!!).
Also, upgrade to binutils-2.9.1.0.6. Making static critical binaries
(init etc.) may save some time if anything goes wrong.

-Mike