Re: OFFTOPIC: e2fsprogs and +2Gb partitions

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Fri, 12 Jun 1998 13:51:18 -0400 (EDT)

Ulrich Drepper writes:
> alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox) writes:
>
>> So why doesnt Ulrich add _LINUX_SOURCE for them ?
>
> Because there is a perfectly legal function lseek64.

It doesn't matter. Unless _POSIX_SOURCE is defined, there is no
good reason to break existing Linux and SunOS software.

I have a growing collection of gratuitous incompatibilities:
Lack of SEMMSL and other constants, socklen_t not being an int,
missing "key" and "seq" in struct ipc_perm (Digital follows XPG4,
and has those), fputs() behavior that is the bare minimum...

This is portability suicide: "We don't want your crummy app."

If someone wants to develop portable software, they must use
the documentation. The library itself must attempt to support
as many applications as possible, including ones that don't
follow the standard to the letter.