Re: Can I open a special file with major/minor instead of name?

Richard Gooch (Richard.Gooch@atnf.CSIRO.AU)
Sun, 14 Jun 1998 17:51:03 +1000

Dave Cinege writes:

> > > #1 because it's 2.0.34
> >
> > Ah. Minor technical problem there. Of course, that leads to the
> > obvious question: why not use 2.1.x?
>
> Because for linux router, I am interested in stability.
> I'm made a 2.1 version of initrd-archive (a required feature for
> LRP. Everyone email Alan now and tell him to put it in ; >)
> But until I start seeing large uptimes from 2.1 I won't look to make
> it a stock part.

What's the best uptime you've seen with 2.1.x? I'm running a 2.1.104
router and I don't seem to have any problems with weeks of uptime.
My only known problem is the local telco drops the line from time to
time.

> So.....how can I do this: (void) open( MKDEV(TTY_MAJOR,1) ,O_RDWR,0);
> with 2.0?

Check out <chrdev_open> in fs/devices.c

Regards,

Richard....