Re: your mail

Derrik (dpates@kalifornia.com)
Sun, 14 Jun 1998 08:32:45 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 14 Jun 1998, Sergio Bruno Rocha Monteiro wrote:

> just a simple question... yeasterday i saw that little "document"
> that was saying that kernel 2.1.105 is faster than 2.0.34...
> i still use 2.0.30... i'm now thinking in upgrading to 2.0.34
> is there a benefict to upgrade right now to 2.1.105 (or 106)
> instead of 2.0.34?
> if so, about the CRC errors of 106, maybe it's soon to
> install it, isn't that so?

There's a patch on the list for the 2.1.106 CRC error - that's just
apparently due to a change in the Gate-A20 init code. Not that big a deal.
Also, by switching to 2.1.x latest now, the changeover to 2.2.x (when and
if you decide to jump to it) will probably be eased quite a bit. I'm using
2.1.x (currently 2.1.105+ac5 - yeah, I'm a little behind the times :) and
am doing well. Just keep an eye on the list for known bugs and
workarounds/patches/etc. Remember, there're bound to be some bugs - it's
still a development kernel. If you don't think you can or care to deal
with that though, you might be safest sticking with the latest that the
2.0.x series has to offer.

Derrik Pates
dpates@kalifornia.com
dpates@acm.org