Re: 2.0.34 - TCP rlogin connection dropped

Michael Marxmeier (mike@msede.com)
Sun, 14 Jun 1998 19:23:00 +0200

[Posted and CC'd]

Andi Kleen wrote:

> Michael Marxmeier <mike@msede.com> writes:
>
> > Since updating to 2.0.34 i encounter that ssh/rlogin
> > connections are dropped after some idle time.
> > I have seen a message (on linux-kernel?) which provided
> > a workaround but cannot find it anymore.
> >
> > Could someone please send me a note how to work around that?
>
> I assume your connections are dropped to a VMS system. This is caused
> by a VMS bug.
>
> Workaround: turn off keepalives.
>
> In ssh /sshd this a config option - see the manpage.
>
> For rlogin there is no option to turn this off - you have to get the
> source and remove the setsockopt(.., SO_KEEPALIVE, ...) line.

Hello Andi.

Thanks for your response but your guess is (at least partially)
wrong. This is happening with HP-UX systems.

I'm used to have a couple of dtterm/hpterm windows on our HP-UX
systems. After uprading to 2.0.34 they are closed after some
period of inactivity. This is probably related to keep alive handling.

I remember i saw a message somewhere (which i can't find anymore)
that this is a side effect of a 2.0.34 TCP change. The quick fix
was to replace the return value at the end of a tcp_* function.
However i can't remember the details and this is getting
annoying ...

Thanks for your help
Michael

--
Michael Marxmeier           Marxmeier Software GmbH
E-Mail: mike@msede.com      Suedstrasse 58