Re: Tagged cmnd queueing trouble in aic7xxx 5.0.19

Leonard N. Zubkoff (lnz@dandelion.com)
Sun, 14 Jun 1998 10:52:32 -0700

From: Matthias Andree <mandree@dosis.uni-dortmund.de>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 1998 13:23:14 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

I am using AIC-7XXX v5.0.19 (Adaptec 2842VL) with both Linux 2.0.34 and
2.1.105.

Drive information is below. To put it short:

sda - Micropolis 4345WS WIDE ULTRA QUEUEING
sdb - IBM DCAS 32160 ULTRA QUEUEING LINKING

Activating tagged command queueing for the Micropolis drive -
aic7xxx=tag_info:{{4}} - gives LOADS of timeout (I cannot currently paste
in, sorry), and a lot of set/reset loops, the system is not usable. On the
other hand, activating tagged command queueing for the IBM -
aic7xxx=tag_info:{{,0}} works just fine, even under heavy bus load.

My question: is the Micropolis tagged queueing failure in any way related to
* firmware bugs in the Micropolis drive?

It's a Micropolis. Firmware bugs in the tagged queuing implementation was one
of their specialities. They were also especially competent at firmware bugs
where the drive became wedged so badly that only a power cycle would recover.

* it being a wide drive on a narrow adaptor (I remember 5.0.18 negotiating
wide transfers in spite of that)?

Unlikely.

* it not supporting linked commands?

No. Nothing must really uses linked commands any more.

Leonard