Re: SYSENTER based syscalls patch, 2.1.105, RFC

David Wragg (dpw@doc.ic.ac.uk)
15 Jun 1998 21:49:35 +0000

<mingo@hal.cobaltmicro.com> writes:
> the attached patch implements SYSENTER/SYSEXIT based system calls for P6
> type x86 CPUs that support it. (tested only on PII, - K6, PPro anyone?)

This is great stuff.

However, running the test program locks my PPro (stepping 7) machine
solid when it tries the SYSENTER test. The kernel is 2.1.106, with the
patch, and built using egcs-1.0.3a. Is this just me, or does everyone
get this from PPros?

Where was SYSENTER/SYSEXIT documented, by the way? Is it in
Intel's PII operating system writer's guide?

> [snip]
> + * %ebp has the caller's stack, first entry on the stack is the
> + * return eip ... ugly but we have to do it this way due to
> + * the (only?) 5 parameter system call select()

pread and pwrite both have 4 parameters, but one is a loff_t, so they
use all 5 parameter registers on x86.

--
Dave Wragg