Re: ext2 fs not properly updated upon dismount.

Tue, 16 Jun 1998 13:15:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, George wrote:

> >> NOTHING in the kernel should depend on a partition type.
> >
> >I think it is reasonable to assume that fsck will get confused if a
> >swap partition is marked as containing an ext2 file system.
>
> I doubt he has that partition in his /etc/fstab as ext2 or that he's
> explicitly running fsck on it. So fsck won't be running on the swap
> partition, he had problems with the root filesystem remember?

And I think __everybody__ has such problems with versions above 2.1.102
(or thereabouts), but they don't notice it because a complete fsck isn't
done if the file-system has been dismounted proberly.

To check, boot with init=/bin/bash.

Then fsck -f /

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.105 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).