Re: ext2 fs not properly updated upon dismount.

Adam D. Bradley (artdodge@cs.bu.edu)
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 13:59:13 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> On 16 Jun 1998, Anders Melchiorsen wrote:
>
> > "Richard B. Johnson" <root@chaos.analogic.com> writes:
> >
> > > Here is an update. It might point to the problem. If I don't set up
> > > a swap drive, the problem doesn't occur. My swap partition is /dev/sdc2,
> > > not shared with anything, while my root file-system is /dev/sdc1.
> >
> > > Device Boot Begin Start End Blocks Id System
> > > /dev/sdc1 * 1 1 255 2048256 83 Linux native
> > > /dev/sdc2 256 256 288 265072+ 83 Linux native
> > > /dev/sdc3 289 289 553 2128612+ 83 Linux native
> >
> > Try setting the Id of /dev/dsc2 to 82, Linux swap instead of 83, Linux
> > native. Perhaps mkswap'ing it afterwards is a good idea, too.
> >
> I can certainly do this, but it's not even used by the kernel nor
> even mkswap.

Is it possible that the problem is at shutdown, that the unmount(8) is
mistaking /dev/sdc2 for a filesystem that needs to be unmounted
(since it does appear in fstab), and then dying a silent death before
it can unmount other partitions?

It might be useful to do a series of explit unmounts at shutdown time,
or to make sure you don't unmount proc and do a "cat /proc/mounts"
after the unmount utility has run to be sure it's really done its
job...

Adam

--
You crucify all honesty             \\Adam D. Bradley  artdodge@cs.bu.edu
No signs you see do you believe      \\Boston University Computer Science