Re: Remote fork() and Parallel programming

Larry McVoy (linker@nightshade.ml.org)
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 17:03:02 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, Emil Briggs wrote:

> >The fastest TCP latency I know of is about 80,000ns. The fastest Unet
> >(no protocols, network mapped into the process' address space) latency
> >is about 30,000ns.
> >

> Are you sure about the 30,000ns figure? There are several solutions
> that claim 2-3 microsecond latency using some custom hardware and
> userspace libraries. These include

He's not refering to banging the hardware from userspace (well, I wasn't
and he was replying to me)..

Though I can't imagine that it needs to be *that* high.. With a special
(non-ip, non checksummed) ethernet protocall for san's and a highly
optimized networking path much lower should be possible..

I still think my point in clear, such remote fork and migration should
workable if the migration is infrequent enough.