Re: Ring-Detect and PPP [offtopic]

Steven N. Hirsch (shirsch@adelphia.net)
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 18:00:09 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Rod Gotty wrote:
>
> >.. all I would need to do
> >is to call my computer, let it ring once (or twice), hang up, connect to
> >the Internet, and then telnet to my Linux machine.
> >
> >So, my question is, has any work to accomplish anything like this already
> >been done? I would rather use something existing than to "reinvent the
> >wheel" so to speak.
>
> I do that often using xringd.

I'll second that suggestion. xringd can be configured such that a
specific ring pattern must be used so, with a little work, you can
have it wait for a pattern unlikely to occur by chance.

I did have to make a couple of changes to pppd. IIRC, it insisted upon
dropping DTR to hangup the modem, then exiting without bringing it true
again. This very neatly prevents the modem from responding to ring signal
(or perhaps it's simply prevented from _notifying_ you about it. Same end
result either way.)

Steve