Re: gcc 2.7.2.3 (I need the tar file)

Anthony Barbachan (barbacha@trill.cis.fordham.edu)
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 05:47:55 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark H. Wood <mwood@mhw.oit.iupui.edu>
To: Anthony Barbachan <barbacha@trill.cis.fordham.edu>
Cc: ik5pvx@infogroup.it <ik5pvx@infogroup.it>; linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
<linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu>
Date: Monday, June 15, 1998 1:13 PM
Subject: Re: gcc 2.7.2.3 (I need the tar file)

>On Sat, 13 Jun 1998, Anthony Barbachan wrote:
>
>> tsx-11.mit.edu:/pub/linux/packages/GCC
>
>Nope. From README.gcc in that directory:
>
> Due to various problems with gcc, the gcc Linux/x86 binaries have
> been released by egcs.

That sucks, they are trying to force use to use egcs. So much for using
2.7.2.3 to compile (relatively) bug free 2.0.x kernels. Good thing I keep a
backup of all the archives that I use. prep.ai.mit.edu still has the
source. What distribution do you use? Slackware keeps copies of their old
distributions on their ftp server ftp.cdrom.com:/pub/linux. Slackware's
packages are just special standard tarballs. You can probably install the
2.7.2.3 compiler by finding the appropiate packages from the 'd' (developer)
series and untarring them onto your system. By the way, anything in the
install directory would have been executed by the slackware package
installation program so you should execute and files that appear under
/install.