Re: f@#$ing MMX emulator

Erik Corry (erik@arbat.com)
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 14:26:51 +0200

In article <19980619162224.C118@caffeine.ix.net.nz> you wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 18, 1998 at 09:00:46PM -0700, David S. Miller wrote:
>> Not totally true, as Ingo has shown doing IP checksums on MMX was not
>> significantly different in complexity from doing it on Sparc VIS.

Doesn't give much benefit, though, according to Mingo
http://x2.dejanews.com/getdoc.xp?AN=362293483

"but for most RL MTU's the FPU save/restore operation eats
a considerable amount of the saved cycles"

> I was perhaps a bit harsh, but I did say some corner cases. Besides, we all
> know Mingo's asm rocks, so anything he does can't possible count.

Also see Mingo's article on the design flaws of MMX under
http://x2.dejanews.com/getdoc.xp?AN=259104956

"this MMX ISA extension thing is not worth to be generated
by a compiler, it's only worth to make it's way into a
few very specialized assembly functions"

Any program that wants to be portable needs a C version
of any MMX code. This is going to be 1000 times faster
than the emulated MMX version, and it is by definition
performance- critical code. There's no point in emulating
MMX.

--
Erik Corry