Re: Corruption in 2.1.106

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 19:48:07 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 19 Jun 1998, Michael Lausch wrote:

> On my workstation programs also crash with Bus Error. It's used for
> SW development and usually is swapping.

Linux only returns -SIGBUS when:
- trying to swapout/swapin an invalid page
- no more real memory can be allocated, when the allocation
was already promised

You can try to work around this by making kswapd more
agressive (/proc/sys/vm/kswapd). Documentation for this
is in Documentation/sysctl/vm.txt...

> Usually running X-Windows, Xemacs, couple of gcc's (crosscompiling).
> Pentium II MMX on AUSU MB, aic7880, 3c59x, 64 MB Memory, 128 MB swap

Hmm, shouldn't be much of a problem, except maybe when the
working set grows _far_ too large for the Linux MM subsystem
to handle. OTOH, kswapd should get more agressive all by
itself... Maybe I should add some auto-tuning code to kswapd
(then you can watch the values in /proc/sys/vm/kswapd change :)

Rik.