Re: MMX based IP-checksumming patch, 2.1.105, RFC

Pat St. Jean (psj@cgmlarson.com)
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 14:59:16 -0500 (CDT)

On 19 Jun 1998, Tkil wrote:
>has this been tried on an AMD K6 yet? i thought they had a fast
>MMX/FPU switch, an order of magnitude faster than the P5MMX. or is
>this switch independent of the FPU save/restore times?

My info's a little old (meaning I haven't read AMD's tech docs in a while,
but I was under the impression that the K6 has a separate unit for MMX
instructions, thus eliminating the penalty that Intel chips have because
they make their fpu do double duty.

Pat

--
Patrick St. Jean              '97 XLH 883                psj@cgmlarson.com
Programmer & Systems Administrator                    +1 713-977-4177 x115