Re: (reiserfs) Re: LVM / Filesystems / High availability

Chris Wedgwood (greg@nightshade.ml.org)
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 20:58:09 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 19 Jun 1998, Simon Richter wrote:

> Vadim E. Kogan wrote:
>
> > 4) more possible space for additional information.
> >
> > Right now I'm tryig to figure out if special filesystem will be needed
> > to store security information, required for C2/B1 level. For example
> > ACLs.
>
> What would be nice IMHO would be package/build information along with every
> file. Right now I've got a broken glibc2 installation on one of my systems and
> it would be very nice if I could do something like this
>
> find / -package glibc2 -bdate 15-06-98
>
> to find all the files from the glibc2 build on 15-06-98 again... :-)
>
> CU
> Simon

That sounds *alot* like the stuff rpm can do without bloating the kernel.

Perhaps an intelgent thing to do would be to have the FS support 'extended
metadata'. There could be a pointer at the end of the metadata block to
some 'extmetadata' node someplace. At the node there could be n where
n<256 key=value pairs. This could be used to store ACLs, compression info,
and such. (pref things that arn't needed every file access) There could
also be some syscalls so that userspace apps could add/remove/view these
things..

Sounds neat, but how would it perform?