Re: Ring-Detect and PPP

Ian Hastie (ianh@iahastie.clara.net)
21 Jun 1998 21:13:09 GMT

In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.980617191458.943A-100000@rs.rs.mahidol.ac.th>,
Chaiya Intasoie wrote:

>On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Rod Gotty wrote:
>> At home, I have my Linux machine setup and can connect to the Internet via
>> dialup PPP. At one time, I had it configured to automatically redial the
>> ISP when the connection was lost and put a mechanism to ping a certain
>> host every 5 minutes so as to keep the connection alive. My ISP didn't
>> like that too much and told me not to do that anymore. Oh well.
>
> crond will do this for you perfectly, well not the way you would
>call your machine. But I let crond to see if my connection to the ISP is
>lost every 5 minutes if there is no connection then re-dial again.

You don't need any of this fuss. Just add persist to the config options
for pppd. You probably have to have it set up to use hardware control,
but it will then redial as soon as the connection is lost.

Doesn't seem that much to do with the kernel though....

--
Ian.

--------------------------------- 'Trust the Internet, The Internet is your friend'