Re: linux-2.1.106-ac3-ac4: Some weirdness in fs/ext/ patches

David S. Miller (davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com)
Sun, 21 Jun 1998 23:09:07 -0700

Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 22:43:05 -0700
From: Bill Hawes <whawes@transmeta.com>

> OTOH, in the above mentioned part of the patch I see that the following
> line is being added to truncate.c:
>
> static u32 le32_zero = cpu_to_le32(0);
>
> I don't see any possible changes in the representation of 0 when going from
> big to little endian ;) Anyway, this kind of stuff should be #defined as a
> constant, if really needed.

The original code went to the trouble of converting endian-ness for 0, so I
thought it best to keep this in place. Who knows, perhaps some future
architecture will need it.

This was just incredible anal retentiveness on my part when I did the
original bi-endianness support. I think it can safely be changed to a
define so it gets optimized out properly due to constant folding in
the compiler.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com