Re: isapnp and pnpdump seam to dump core on 2.0.34

Horst von Brand (vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl)
Mon, 22 Jun 1998 09:47:57 -0400

"Vadim E. Kogan" <vadim@vadim.gem.net> said:
> Alan Cox wrote:

> > > I recently found that isapnp and pnpdump is crashing and dumping its
> > > core on at least two of my machines running 2.0.34. And yes I tried
> > > to recompile isapnp/pnpdump with the new kernel. Is this a bug? Is
> > > there a known workaround or patch?

> > Don't build 2.0.34 with gcc 2.8.x/egcs.

> ghm... Can we track that one down? Yes, I know that 2.8.x/egcs sometimes
> generate wrong code, but we might want to help gcc/egcs team to discover
> bugs, so that new generation of compilers will be usefull :)

I _has_ been done in 2.1.xx, it was long and painful. The bugs were mostly
in the kernel, BTW. It's just not worth the trouble hunting them down again
in 2.0.xx, as it will last not much longer.

--
Dr. Horst H. von Brand                       mailto:vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl