Re: LVM / Filesystems / High availability

Magnus Redin (redin@lysator.liu.se)
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 01:47:55 +0200 (MET DST)

Shawn Leas writes:
> I think Linux kernel ver 2.3 is going to do just we hope it is going
> to do. On the list of things that I've seen realistically discussed
> are:

> 1) Vast improvement in the MM, such as zone alocation, etc.
> 2) The support for LVM. (I can't tell you how long I've been
> searching)
> 3) Super high throughput FS's that are journaled for
> stability and speed of recovery.

What about a "sleep" function that stores a complete live image on the
swapspace and then shuts down for a quick reload after power-on. It
ought to be possible to give all kind of PC:s the same function as a
laptops builtin poweroff/resume.

Extremely practical and more so if you already have a system that runs
for weeks and months withouth craches. Its not like a windows system
where a reboot is good in itself...

There has been some discussions about it on the kernel list. I hope
this idea isent forgotten.

Regards,

--
Magnus Redin  Lysator Academic Computer Society  redin@lysator.liu.se
Mail: Magnus Redin, Rydsvägen 214B, 584 32 LINKöPING, SWEDEN