Re: striping (RAID0) performance ?

Davide Rossetti (rossetti@apemaia.roma1.infn.it)
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 12:40:06 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 22 Jun 1998, Chris Atenasio wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Jun 1998, Davide Rossetti wrote:
> > Could someone explain to me why aren't they so exciting ?
> Well what excites me about RAID is the speed in random access. Different
> disks can seek to different places at the same time making me happy. It

so, you see a major inprovement in disk seek overlapping, don't you ?

> has taken the compiling bottleneck off my poor drives and put on my ppros
> where it should be. BTW for timing sequential access I simply
> do a:
>
> hdparm -t /dev/sda
>
> and compare that to
>
> hdparm -t /dev/md0
>
> It's almost x2 here.

here what I get:

Personalities : [2 raid0]
read_ahead 120 sectors
md0 : active raid0 sdb1 sde1 sdd1 sdf1 8193024 blocks 32k chunks
md1 : active raid0 sdb2 sde2 sdd2 sdf2 4112640 blocks 64k chunks
md2 : active raid0 sde3 sdf3 2731008 blocks 128k chunks
md3 : active raid0 sdb3 sdd3 2538240 blocks 64k chunks

[root@pcape6 iotests]# hdparm -t /dev/md0
/dev/md0:
Timing buffered disk reads: 16 MB in 1.56 seconds =10.26 MB/sec

[root@pcape6 iotests]# hdparm -t /dev/md1
/dev/md1:
Timing buffered disk reads: 16 MB in 2.08 seconds = 7.69 MB/sec

[root@pcape6 iotests]# hdparm -t /dev/md2
/dev/md2:
Timing buffered disk reads: 16 MB in 1.88 seconds = 8.51 MB/sec

[root@pcape6 iotests]# hdparm -t /dev/md3
/dev/md3:
Timing buffered disk reads: 16 MB in 2.06 seconds = 7.77 MB/sec

> > It seems that the md driver is only remapping sectors, not using any
> > I/O overlapping. this way the performance gain is marginal.
> With sequential access the could very well be true. But then again what
> real life activity just makes a big file full of zeroes? :)

In real life those are not zeroes. they are data from/to our supercomputer
memories. And in our QCD(Quantum Cromo Dynamics) simulations, there are
HUGE amount of data to be read/written.

regards.

|Rossetti Davide INFN - Sezione Roma I - gruppo V, prog. APEmille|
| web : http://apemaia.roma1.infn.it/~rossetti |
| """"" E-mail : davide.rossetti@roma1.infn.it |
| |o o| phone : (+39)-6-49914412 |
|--o00O-O00o-- fax : (+39)-6-4957697 |
| address: Dipartimento di Fisica (V.E.) |
| Universita' di Roma "La Sapienza" |
| P.le Aldo Moro,5 I - 00185 Roma - Italy|
| pgp pub. key: finger rossetti@apemaia.roma1.infn.it |
| |
|"Most people think about twice a year. I got famous by thinking |
| once a week." - George B. Shaw (see Appendix A) |