Re: Thread implementations...

Erik Corry (erik@arbat.com)
Thu, 25 Jun 1998 09:05:58 +0200

In article <6msk1d$n4$1@palladium.transmeta.com> you wrote:

> Now, I'm no NT person, but I suspect that we actually do want to have a
> "sendfile()" kind of thing just because it should be fairly easy to
> implement, and would offer some interesting performance advantages for
> some cases. No, it's not truly generic, but it is useful enough in many
> circustances.

I'm a little curious as to which circumstances you are thinking of.
As far as I can see, it's a syscall for a single application (a
web server serving static objects) which is basically little more
than a benchmark. If you really have such a hugely loaded web server
you are likely to be doing lots of database lookups, cookie-controlled
variable content, shtml, other cgi trickery, etc. And if you really
just want to serve static objects as fast as possible, a round-robin
DNS with multiple servers gets you more robustness and a solution that
scales above Ethernet speeds.

Would we just be doing this to look good agains NT in webstones?

--
Erik Corry