Re: (reiserfs) Re: LVM / Filesystems / High availability

Fabien Ninoles (fabien@master.debian.org)
Thu, 25 Jun 1998 09:51:10 -0500

On Thu, Jun 25, 1998 at 12:32:35AM +0200, MOLNAR Ingo wrote:

> On 24 Jun 1998, David Wragg wrote:
>
> > A lot of work will be needed to match the 25 million lines of new
> > code in NT5 ;-)
>
> thats not the kernel ... it's everything included. Of course for them the
> X server is part of the kernel too.
>
> if you could the lines of source code on RedHat 5.0's official source code
> CD, it's 300+ MB compressed source code, which amounts to some ~50 million
> lines of code. (very rough estimate). This does not include the contrib
> directory ... Now this is what should be compared to NT's published
> figures.

And Debian source main distribution doesn't fit on a single CD. Eh! That's
mean more than 650 MB of compressed source ready for Linux and all DFSG
compliant ! The new 2.0 Official CD will be distributed as a 4-5 CD sets
[source and multi-arch binaries included].

> so there is nothing to be ashamed of, Linux kernel's 1.5+ million lines of
> code is just a nicely compact and much more manageable piece of code than
> NT's kernel ...
>
> -- mingo

Well, for well compared NT kernel with Linux, you need to add to the Linux
Kernel: X (for the graphic kernel), Mesa (for OpenGL), svgalib (for
DirectDraw), Mozilla (for IE), FileManager (for Explorer aka IE),
Enlightment (for Themes aka IE), GNOME/KDE&GTK/Qt (for all the new
HTML controls, RTF controls, OLE...), etc. For those who says that IE
is not part of the kernel, I ask you then why upgrading IE need so much
change in kernel32.dll, user32.dll, etc... MS said the truth when talking
about IE as a part of the OS. And it will soon be the samething for
MS Office ;) NT needs all this in kernel because elsewhere Billy will
need Merced III for running it correctly.

[Sorry for the none purpose mail... Bad night having to install NT after
a screen-saver crash). ]