Re: Thread implementations...

Michael O'Reilly (michael@metal.iinet.net.au)
26 Jun 1998 14:11:26 +0800

Rik van Riel <H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl> writes:
> On Thu, 25 Jun 1998, Amsden, Zachary wrote:
>
> > Possibly. But according to Squid's own doc, the primary problems
> > in Squid performance are
> >
> > 1) Not enough memory
>
> Can indeed be alleviated by sendfile()...

No. The memory issue on squid is almost purely to do with needing to
keep a very large dbase (the index for all the disks) in ram.

> > 2) Too slow disks
>

> With a filesystem that can't handle the extreme dir sizes
> that Squid uses.

Squid doesn't produce extreme dir sizes. No dir will have more then X
files for a given configuration.

> ReiserFS or another advanced filesystem
> will speed up this bottleneck by more than just a considerable
> amount...

The disk issue in squid is purely driven by transaction times.

> > which as far as I can see aren't helped by sendfile. They also
> > say "CPU limitations are rarely encountered except in very large
> > caches".
>
> This situation is also better handled by tree-based filesystems
> and better buffer/cache administration.

On squid 1.2, large squids are CPU bound, and the number two CPU
sucker is read()s and write()s to network sockets. (squid does a LOT
of copying data from network to network, and disk to network).

Michael.