Re: Thread implementations...

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
26 Jun 1998 09:20:46 GMT

In article <Pine.BSF.3.95.980625230252.2272q-100000@alive.znep.com>,
Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com> wrote:

>HPUX's sendfile is:
>
> ssize_t sendfile(int s, int fd, off_t offset, size_t nbytes,
> const struct iovec *hdtrl, int flags);
>
>which allows headers and trailers as iovecs.

That is just broken.

If their system call overhead is so big that it makes sense to have the
iovec's be part of "sendfile()", they must be doing something wrong.

And if the system call overhead isn't that big, then they just made
sendfile() uglier for no good reason.

Not that I've been very impressed by HP-UX before either. The people
working on it seem to have no taste (WNT is even worse in this regard).

Linus