Re: kswapd's priority

Stephen C. Tweedie (sct@dcs.ed.ac.uk)
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 10:33:35 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, 26 Jun 1998 06:58:08 +0200 (CEST), Rik van Riel
<H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl> said:

> On 25 Jun 1998, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
>> Before 2.2, I should be fixing kswapd to have a base priority which
>> is the lowest possible realtime priority, but to temporarily
>> inherit the priority of the highest priority task waiting for
>> memory.

> There's only one problem with that: tasks don't wait for
> memory. If the memory's there they grab it, otherwise they
> try to free some theirselves; and if that fails, they die.

They don't wait yet. Arguably, they should do, or else we effectively
have multiple copies of kswapd active at once, which is not
necessarily a Good Thing. The interactions between the multiple
instances of try_to_free_page may seriously impede our attempts to
defragment and cluster the swap IOs.

--Stephen