Re: 2.1.107 + fb + s3virge = FAIL

Geert Uytterhoeven (Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be)
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 16:22:32 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, Yaroslav Rosomakho wrote:
> I have S3virge and after compiling 2.1.107 with frame buffer support
> system won't boot. It halts after messege "Booting up the kernel" What's
> wrong?
> My .config file attached.

Please use vgafb instead of vesafb. Vesafb is known to have problems with
graphics boards that are not VBE 2.0 compliant.

The motivation behind this is also having support for graphical consoles, not
forcing everyone to use a graphical console! Vesafb is mainly intended for
machines with graphics boards that do not have a hardware text mode, or that
don't have an Open Source X server yet.

Greetings,

Geert

--