Re: 2.1.107 frame buffer _badly_ broken

Bradley M Keryan (keryan@andrew.cmu.edu)
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 22:51:37 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, Daniel Egger wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>
> >Does it work with frame buffer support and vgafb instead of vesafb? Vgafb is a
> >text-only frame buffer device and should work. Technically it's the same code
> >as vgacon and the old VGA driver. It's main advantage over vgacon is that it's
> >a frame buffer device, and that it's much faster.
>
> No, that won't work either, at least here.... But there is a difference:
> Usign vesafb the machine hangs completely without doing anything...
> Using vgafb the machine puzzles around with some chars and clears the
> screen and to be more good I can reset it then softly :))

Or, by placing calls to kd_mksound at the beginning of some of the major
functions in fbcon.c, it *sounds* like the kernel gets to the point where
it starts calling fbcon_putc when I use vgafb, but with vesafb it gets
stuck somewhere in or after fbcon_setup. Vgafb seems to be printing
kernel messages in all black on black. Also, vgacon works fine.

This is with a Matrox Millenium I 2MB+2MB upgrade graphics card, if that
matters.

Brad