Re: 2.1.107 + fb + s3virge = FAIL

Jon M. Taylor (taylorj@ecs.csus.edu)
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 21:56:13 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 27 Jun 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

[snip]

> Another item for someone who wants to play with head.S and is familiar
> with PC BIOS calls is to write a vesa1 fbcon module. That means setting
> a fixed chosen video mode in the boot up while 16 bit, setting a fixed
> palette if an 8bit mode (Suggest RGB332) and finding where the frame
> buffer itself is then passing this to the kernel (if the latter isnt
> possible we can play 'figure it out via PCI').

AFAIK with VESA 1.0 the mapping is always banked at 0xA0000. Now
you need a "remap on page fault" handler for your banked VESA 1.0 modes,
and *theoretically* any video card with VESA 1.0 in ROM (basically
everything SVGA from 1993 or so on) can be used with that one driver.

Jon

---
becoming one with God.'
	- Scientist G. Richard Seed