Re: Thread implementations...

Raul Miller (rdm@test.legislate.com)
Sat, 27 Jun 1998 12:45:20 -0400

Richard Gooch <Richard.Gooch@atnf.CSIRO.AU> wrote:
> Maybe my point is still being missed. Glibc is neither the solution,
> nor is its packaging of new solutions into standard interfaces of any
> relevance *when those interfaces are not explicitely scalable*.
>
> The aio_*() interface is not explicitely scalable. Since
> implementations are free to emulate using threads, aio_*() is not
> scalable across POSIX.4 systems. POSIX.4 says nothing about the cost
> (or reasonableness) of submitting thousands of aio_*() requests. That
> means it could be good or bad, depending on which OS you are using.

So?

If you want performance and have several options, the only reasonable
thing to do is measure the performance to pick the valid option. [Once
you have a reasonably accurate model, you can get away by looking at
symbols instead of measuring...]

> Let me say it another way: I want a solution that will scale well on
> any vanilla POSIX.4 system (i.e. installing glibc is not an option).

Are you saying that you object to casting your solution in terms which
are easily formed into aio_*()?

--
Raul