Re: bogomips in 2.0.34

David Heitmann (dah@pe.net)
Sat, 27 Jun 1998 11:24:13 -0700

Kurt Garloff wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 23, 1998 at 08:16:53PM +0200, Henrik Edlund wrote:
> > On Mon, 22 Jun 1998, David Heitmann wrote:
> > > bogomips for my Pentium 200/MMX had gone from 398.95,
> > > down to 299.01. Has anyone else noticed this, or have
> > > any ideas what the cause might be?
> >
> > That's funny. My BogoMIPS increased 16 points from .33 to .34... :-)
>
> BogoMIPS may depend on the actual alignment of the loop.

But the code in arch/i386/lib/delay.S uses the ENTRY macro
that is defined in include/linux/linkage.h, which, if I'm
reading correctly, is using an ".align 16, 0x90" assembler
directive in my case. Why would the code be misaligned?
Is there a problem with the assembler or the linker?

That is kind of scary to think that there could be a 25%
decrease in instructions executed per unit time regardless
of the .align directive. What if some important piece of
code that gets executed a lot happens to be poorly aligned?
Could I see a major difference in kernel performance?