Re: egcs-1.0.3a weirdness with lynx-2.8 on v2.1.107

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Sun, 28 Jun 1998 12:19:45 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, Alex Buell wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, D.A. Harris wrote:
>
> > As a general rule of thumb, I've always heard that you want 1.5 times the
> > amount of RAM in swap, at least, more perhaps depending on what
> > applications you're going to be running. Maybe you want to double or
> > triple the amount of swap you have now, it could possibly explain
> > a number of problems you've been having (like with bash 2.02 and grep).
>
> That could explain it, but I have built and compiled packages under libc5
> without any problems in the past. I cannot accept that memory requirements
> have increased to that extent in glibc2 such that a machine with 32MB of
> RAM and a swap file of 26MB cannot do things that it did previously. :o(

I've seen the same thing. Glibc programs seem to have a bit
larger memory footprint, in terms of swap usage. The overall
performance of the system doesn't seem to suffer, however.
It just looks like there's more 'dead stuff', which is swapped
out and just takes up some swap space.

> If that is the issue here, that is *unacceptable*. I do not want to throw
> away lots of money just to upgrade the machine so it can do things
> successfully. I'm not made of money.

- swap space is cheap
- even if you _were_ made of money, I agree that using Linux
shouldn't cost an arm and a leg; no amputations needed here :)

Rik.