Re: Console fixes for 2.1.107

Brion Vibber (brion@pobox.com)
Sun, 28 Jun 1998 19:26:09 -0700

Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> *!* Workaround for console_init() before memory_init(): replace ioremap() in
> vgafb.c/vesafb.c by bus_to_virt(). Tested for vgafb.c only (solves the
> black-on-black problem).

Vgafb boots and works, but vesafb still dies after 'Ok, booting kernel'.
(Canopus Total3d 128V - PCI Riva 128)

> *!* Add scrollback support for frame buffer device that support panning or
> wrapping. This includes vgafb, the VGA text mode frame buffer device.

Works nice, but when I scroll up and then scroll back down the cursor is
hidden until additional text is displayed. Also, gpm (1.13) can't select
anything from the scrollback buffer, just the last 25 lines.

> - Show the Penguin! People want it :-)

If you squint real hard it looks sort of like a penguin... perhaps it
looks better in graphics mode? ASCII art just don't cut it here...

-- brion vibber (brion@pobox.com)