Re: increasing page size

Stephen C. Tweedie (sct@redhat.com)
Mon, 6 Jul 1998 18:17:36 +0100

On Sun, 5 Jul 1998 20:02:06 +0200 (CEST), Rik van Riel
<H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl> said:

> On Sun, 5 Jul 1998, Alan Cox wrote:
>> o Per CPU "hot" page lists
>> o Page colouring
>> o Algorithms that work to minimise fragmentation

> In the design for the new allocator, I forgot the first
> 2 points you gave... I did have some other issues however,
> so we should probably think of a way to merge the two...

It's not really anything that is going to get in the way of zoned
allocation: the two principles are orthogonal. If we are zoning in
blocks of 32k or larger, then the zoning itself is not telling us
anything about smaller units than that. Page colouring and CPU hot
lists work best at the smallest granularity available, i.e. on a
per-page basis.

--Stephen