Re: msdos FS bug

Phillip R. Jaenke (prj@nls.net)
Mon, 6 Jul 1998 19:44:30 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 6 Jul 1998, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:

> What looks like TRASH to us doesn't always look that way to the computer.

When ls tries to execute stuff fmom the listing, that's most definitely
trash. That was one of the things I first noticed.

> So we have to execute the boot block (read: *boot* it) or interpret it
> (faster to just do a full partition scan...) to find out?

No. The boot block is sector 0, AKA the MBR. Which is outside the
partition table. (Partitions start at sector 1.) In the dual boot
configuration, such as the one that this was discovered on, what happens
is this.

LILO boot: dos

Starting Windows 95...
(pop up stupid screen, no response after that.)

LILO boot: linux
(you know the routine. boots clean.)

Besides, the corruption is not the partition table, but the data on the
partition. The actual filesystem. I had no problems creating, deleting,
and messing around with partitions. But the filesystem would not hold.
(This has been attributed to a bug in the drive's firmware.) This resulted
in seven hard locks, and many errors while running involving 03:01. ;P

--Phillip R. Jaenke (prj@nls.net - InterNIC: PRJ5)
TheGuyInCharge(tm), Ketyra Designs, Inc.
"That's IT! I'm gonna slap Dr.Watson with a malpractice suit!!" --Keihra
ObBob! KHpB lWulH EO m23 C(PEW) B-18 OlO LM(p) ScjnM T++ A9! H8oc b123 D+
! I reserve the right to bill spammers for my time and disk space !