Re: Merced makes things interesting, eh?

Shawn Leas (sleas@ixion.honeywell.com)
Wed, 8 Jul 1998 00:22:47 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, Chris Wedgwood wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 07, 1998 at 11:08:17PM -0500, Jiann-Ming Su wrote:
>
> > There goes the media again. Merced is technologically inferior to Alpha.
> > Has anyone compared a 21164PC alpha chip to a PII chip, lately? For those
> > who haven't, a 21164PC chip is about the size of a Pentium chip. It's
> > probably a bit smaller than a pentium but bigger than a 486. This chip is
> > easily 2x faster than any of the 66 MHz PII chips.
>
> Running NT and other similar apps - its actually quite a bit slower. Running
> code that full utilizes the fact its a 64-bit ship, it rocks. (Although I
> don't know about 2x faster....)
>
> The trouble is, marketroids and the media want to know how fast Excel and NT
> run for there wussy little bencharks and other irrelvant crap.

Here here! Also, CAD vendors are SGI centric, and need not be... Sure,
SGI has nice graphics, but I don't see that as the bottleneck in CAD most
of the time... Now, it seems to be managers unwilling to buy enough
memory for the CADs. That is, in my experience. Fast graphics is nice,
though.

NEone know how Alpha measures up graphics subsystem wise?

-Shawn