Re: [offtopic] dual vga?

Nathan Hand (nathanh@chirp.com.au)
Wed, 8 Jul 1998 21:43:24 +1000 (EST)

On Tue, 7 Jul 1998 linker@nightshade.ml.org wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Jul 1998, Martin Mares wrote:
>
> > > This may or may not be a kernel issue, but is there a way to have a
> > > dual-head machine with two vga cards in it? (as opposed to vga+mda)

With fbcon going mainstream on x86 it has now become a kernel issue at
last. The support may already be present, for all I know, but it is an
issue that fbcon needs to address within the kernel.

> > With ISA cards it's impossible since the I/O and memory addresses
> > conflict with each other. With several PCI cards it's possible, but
> > I know no drivers supporting it (AFAIK, different cards do configuration
> > of addresses in different ways).

Accelerated X supports multi-head support with *some* video cards, for
the list see www.xinside.com. GGI supports multi-head via KGI, but you
may want to wait until GGI enters ALPHA before playing with it :-)

> Just upgrade to Windows 98! It had dual-head support and FAT32 so you can
> have drives bigger then two gigs! Also, it has improved networking so your
> computer doesn't mysteriously hard lock when you go and piss people off in
> #linux!
>
> /me ducks! :) :) :)

/me slaps you with a wet fish.